Historical Sites in Crystal Lake

Crystal Lake Illinois has a rich history. Here is a brief history of this city from our Crystal Lake chiropractor. The city can trace its beginnings to the 1800’s when the communities of Nunda and Crystal Lake came together. A man named Ziba Beardsley reportedly named Crystal Lake after seeing the waters “as clear as crystal,” which the central lake, in Crystal Lake, is named after. However, Ziba was not the founder as he continued to travel south. In the year of 1836, a covered wagon with Beman and Polly Crandall and their children traveled from New York State and built a log cabin, where four more children were born. The cabin was built at the intersection of streets Virginia and Van Buren.

Before Crystal Lake was the city it is today, it was a town. As a town it was originally known as Crystal Ville. It was recorded that by 1840 to be known as Crystal Ville. There were several name changes in the history of Crystal Lake. What is now known as downtown was originally termed “Dearborn” then “Nunda.” Dearborn came about when the railroad was built through the area, in the 1850’s. In 1856 a pre assembled train depot was “installed,” shipped on a flat car from Chicago.

The name Nunda was used starting in 1868 from the area in New York where many of the settlers had come from. Crystal Lake and Nunda were incorporated in 1874.

Historical Structures

There are many famous historical structures in Crystal Lake today. The Beatty Building, on 51 N Williams street, the El Tovar Theatre on 26 N Williams street, the Jaster Building on 414 W. Virginia street, Lorimer Mansion on 615 Lake Avenue, the Colonel Palmer House on 660 E Terra Cotta Avenue, the Randall House 406 W Woodstock street, and the Teckler Building on 50 N Williams street.

As far as historical churches, there are quite a few. The Bethany Lutheran Church was crystal Lake’s Swedish Lutheran church organized in 1923. The First Congregational Church or otherwise known as the FCC was organized January 10, 1842. Immanuel Lutheran is a well known church today in Crystal Lake, and is known as a German Lutheran church organized in 1870. In 1896 St. Paul’s church began under the leadership of Rev. Carl Lohse as a small mission church. Finally, St. Thomas church in 1859.

There are three historical cemeteries within the city borders of Crystal Lake. The first was known as Crystal Lake Cemetery but has since been renamed as Lake Avenue Cemetery. It is the oldest public burying ground in the surrounding township of Crystal Lake as well as Algonquin. The first person who was reportedly buried was Ella King, who was the daughter of Isaac and Almina King. There are approximately 1,200 people buried here today, including many of the original settlers of Crystal Lake.

If you talk to someone from Crystal Lake, and the topic of schools comes up, you will find out that Crystal Lake is proud of their schooling. There are several, but as far as “historical”: Crystal Lake Community High School, Union School (which interestingly enough was formed in 1884 as the first act that “united” townships of Nunda and Crystal Lake who had previously a bit of a feud. Historically there is also South Elementary on Golf Rd and formed in 1953.

Off Woodstock st. there is a Union soldier statue, erected September 11 1889. His original purpose was honoring those who served in the Civil War but has become a symbol of sacrifice and heroism. There is a tradition where on Memorial day, people will gather and pay tribute at the statue.